Holistic Practitioner Spotlight with Dr. Gloria Jackson, Consultant and Integrative Physician
We are speaking with Dr.Gloria Jackson, MD, who believes that one of the best things we can do for ourselves is learn to take better care of ourselves by practicing prevention and listening to our bodies and minds more acutely.
Tell Us a Story About a Patient with Multiple Health Conditions and How You Helped
Jane, a 55 year old female in Central Virginia presented with multiple symptoms. Among them were the following:
- Difficulty sleeping
- Grinding/Clenching her teeth
- Frequent Headaches
- High Blood Pressure
- High Cholesterol
- Weight gain
- Low energy
- Brain Fog
- Joint Pain
- Allergies/allergic reactions
- Frequent Bronchitis
- Bouts of Pneumonia
- Belching and bloating
- Acid Reflux
She knew she needed help to go in another direction as the conventional ways were not helping her achieve good health physically or emotionally.
What had the patient tried before seeking you out?
Jane was frustrated with how she felt in her body. She had tried several different weight loss diets/strategies with only temporary loss. The pounds she shed returned in about 4-6 months after loss – regardless of mindful eating.
Her primary physician prescribed a whole host of medications to deal with her symptoms. Although none of Jane’s issues were completely resolved, the medications had mixed results to help with Jane’s:
- Depression (no improvement)
- Blood pressure (some improvement)
- Acid reflux (some improvement)
- Digestive problems (no improvement)
- Asthma (some improvement)
- Sleep (no improvement)
Her weight gain continued along with bloating, belching, constipation, and other symptoms previously described. To provide a program that satisfied Jane’s healing goals, it was necessary to address underlying problems that were triggering her symptoms.
How did you arrive at your course of treatment?
For the past twenty years, through the use of bio-energetic resonance equipment and witness to thousands of symptoms, I’ve seen the direct correlations between specific toxins and predictable symptoms that occur in our bodies and minds. Many times these are sources that we have not considered “toxic”. We can now say that research has shown an association between a wide range of diverse symptoms and accumulated toxic waste in our bodies.
Each of us is exposed to something toxic somehow from somewhere.
It’s important to ask the right questions and listen to a client’s full description of their discomforts, their diet, water source and intake, environments and exposure potential. Having observed direct correlations between toxins, symptoms and nutrients that could favorably impact outcomes, I’m able to make recommendations on useful, efficient, effective methodologies to accomplish beneficial results.
What modalities or therapies did you implement and what was the outcome of the services you provided?
I first identify and document imbalances in the body’s cells, organs and systems. Bio-energetic resonance technology and electro-acupuncture have been quite useful tools to accomplish this. Once these imbalances have been identified, I recommend nutrient-centered protocols to be strictly followed.This includes vitamins, minerals, herbs and supplements along with other natural healing modalities.
Why and When Did You Choose the Holistic Path?
I’m a conventionally trained MD who was influenced by the successes of natural modalities early in life. Once completing medical school and starting residency training, I quickly realized that the path of healing that I was seeking and the path that I was on were remarkably different.
In 1980, I left my training and pursued a self-described path to experience and learn all that I could about the Healing Arts. Along the way, I recognized a new role that I would participate in…. to expose and educate as many that listen to their innate abilities to take better care of themselves through “awareness” and understanding WHAT their bodies are saying as they express illness or disease.
What Lessons Have Your Work and Personal Experiences Taught You?
Over these years I’ve learned that one of the best things we can do for ourselves is learn to take better care of ourselves by practicing prevention and listening to our bodies and minds more acutely.
No one knows ourselves better than ourselves.
Each of us possess a very unique “inner-communication system” that is set up to teach us lessons. Many times we are not motivated to listen to ourselves until there is PAIN of one sort or another. Once we begin to practice prevention, we are in a position to help ourselves before the full expressions of illness take effect.
We are now at a time in history where we are not sure HOW the healthcare establishment will be able to gather its remaining resources in order to continue to provide us support. It’s IMPERATIVE that each of us take full responsibility of our OWN health and well-being. That can be accomplished through mindfulness. Me must THINK about how we’re treating ourselves, what we’re eating, what we’re feeding our families and how to sustain our health while we still have it.
Dr. Gloria Jackson, MD
- 2008 Studies Oriental Medicine Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine College of Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- 1982 Clerkship Healing Arts Holistic Healing Center, Menlo Park, CA
- 1980 Residency Psychiatry Univ. of California, Langley Porter Institute, San Francisco, CA
- 1979 Internship General Medicine Univ. of California, Moffett Hospital, San Francisco, CA
- 1978 MD Medicine Univ. of Cincinnati, College of Medicine, Cincinnati, OH
- 1974 BA Biology Oberlin College, Oberlin, OH CREDENTIALS
- 2011-2018 Continuing Education State of California, Acupuncture Provider Board
- 2007 Instructor Integrative Acupuncture and Integrative Medicine Medicine College of Berkeley, Berkeley, CA
- 1998 Instructor’s Credential State of Wisconsin, Technical College, Natural Sciences System Board
- 1985 Research Professor Euro-technical Research University, Healing Arts Hilo, HI
- 1984 Instructor’s Credential State of California, Council For Psychology & Health Private Post-secondary and Vocational Education
- 1982 Instructor’s Credential California Community Colleges Health & Physical Care Services & Technologies
- State of VA, Top Doctor Award, Medical Nutrition 2018 & 2017
- US House of Representatives, Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition
- California State Senate, Certificate of Recognition
- California State Senate, Health Award
- Board of Supervisors, City and County of San Francisco, Certificate of Honor
- Office of the Mayor, City and County of San Francisco, Certificate of Honor
Gloria Jackson, MD
Consultant, Integrative Medicine
Foundation For The Healing Arts
Fredericksburg, VA. United States
View other holistic practitioners like Dr. Jackson in our Holistic Directory
Are you a holistic practitioner who would like to submit a guest blog? Click Here!
As holistic dentists, we've recommended products and services that supported our patients’ health for decades. In experiencing our own health challenges from mercury toxicity, we worked closely with many natural, alternative, and integrative health practitioners who aided our recovery as well as our patients’. We built this site to provide you with a simple-to-use, comprehensive, informational, and functional resource for your physical, emotional, and spiritual health & well-being.